Shiatsu is a treatment perfectly suited to supporting women during the entire journey through pregnancy and has traditionally been used for thousands of years in the orient as a powerful healing tool and promoter of vibrant health during this vital time.
Whether you are looking for support through your entire pregnancy, wanting to resolve a particular health issue, or simply want a one-off treatment for relaxation, Helen delivers treatments which are tailored to your specific needs and requirements. The journey through pregnancy can be a very joyous and positive time for some people or it can be a time of uncertainty, questioning and great difficulty. Whatever you are feeling about your journey through pregnancy, Helen works with where you are, and Shiatsu can help to bring balance and restore clarity.
Helen is currently undertaking further postgraduate specialist training in this field with Suzanne Yates of ‘Well Mother’, a renowned international specialist in Shiatsu for pregnancy, birth and babyhood.
Pre-conception & Fertility
Shiatsu can help in various ways prior to conception:
- promote health and wellbeing prior to conception in preparation for pregnancy and motherhood ensuring you are in optimal health at the start of your journey!
- promotes relaxation and reduce stress.
- offers emotional exploration of issues surrounding fertility and conception
- treatments for infertility are based on traditionally used meridians and acupressure points historically used for infertility.
- the underlying and associated issues for infertility are addressed in Shiatsu treatments.
All the stages/trimesters of pregnancy are supported by the use of Shiatsu, breathwork, visualisation and exercises where necessary.
Shiatsu can support during pregnancy by:
- aiding relaxation and reducing stress; creating optimum conditions for you and your baby.
- enhances pre-natal bonding with your baby.
- treatment and relief of common pregnancy ailments such as: nausea and vomiting; swollen legs and ankles; varicose veins; musculoskeletal tension; tiredness; breast tenderness; carpal tunnel syndrome.
- helping to prevent conditions from arising.
- provides an alternative treatment of ailments where medication cannot be used, such as headaches, sickness, digestive problems, constipation, diarrhoea etc.
- giving space for emotional exploration of any issues or worries experienced during this time.
- giving self-care recommendations such as: exercises, breathing & relaxation techniques, pelvic floor strengthening and postural awareness.
- improves circulation and lymphatics.
- encourages optimal fetal positioning of the baby in preparation for labour.
- helping the people close to you be involved as we can support your partner or any eager children learn some Shiatsu techniques so they can give you Shiatsu throughout your pregnancy. This can also help your partner to bond with the baby pre-natally.
Shiatsu sessions for birth preparation are immensely helpful by:
- supporting you to tune in and to listen to your body.
- raise awareness of your baby.
- help prepare emotionally and physically for labour.
- encourage optimal fetal positioning.
- encouraging relaxation and confidence in the birth process.
- develop strategies for managing pain.
Shiatsu has shown to help promote shorter labours, decrease the need for medical intervention, decrease pain and anxiety and promote breastfeeding and ease of breastfeeding.
Shiatsu makes use of labour focused points which can be used in the later weeks of pregnancy and when you are ‘post-term’ to encourage labour to begin. This is a gentle way to promote labour and can help to avoid medical intervention for inducing labour.
Shiatsu provides a vital part of care at this crucial time. Shiatsu can be carried out with the baby and supports by:
- promoting physical and emotional recovery after birth.
- relieving back, neck and shoulder tension.
- increasing circulation and lymphatic flow
- supporting breastfeeding.
- improving sleep and reduce fatigue.
- helping with the emotional adjustments of early parenting.
- aiding relaxation, and improve energy levels.
- enhancing positive relationships with partner and baby.
- promoting bonding with baby.
- healing birth trauma.
- aiding the healing process of scar tissue (caesarean scar and epesiotomy).
- easing mastitis and engorgement. Breast shiatsu and massage can be taught to you for you to carry out on your own.
Sessions also involve advice and guidance on post-natal exercises and abdominal & pelvic floor toning. The sessions also offers a space for exploring emotional difficulties and supporting with postnatal depression.
The importance of good post-natal support cannot be emphasised enough in the early weeks after birth. There are many physical and emotional changes which can be effectively supported with Shiatsu. In order for this early post-natal period to be supported, there is the Post-natal Package available for the first 6 weeks which supports mother and baby. Home visits are also available during the early post-natal period.